Peoplesafe Achieves BS 8484:2022 Accreditation
Peoplesafe is pleased to announce that we have achieved BS 8484:2022 certification.
The British Standard BS 8484 governs the provision of lone worker devices, apps and services in the UK. Initially published in 2009, it has since been withdrawn and replaced by BS 8484:2016 in August 2016, and most recently been superseded by BS 8484:2022.
To obtain BS8484:2022 accreditation, Peoplesafe underwent independent auditing by the SSAIB. The assessment covered various aspects, including the reliability and performance of our lone worker devices, the monitoring and response capabilities of our alarm receiving centre, and adherence to data protection and privacy regulations.
What is the difference between BS 8484:2016 and BS 8484:2022?
In 2022, the BSI (British Standards Institution) updated BS 8484 to reflect changing technologies and norms. The changes include:
- An acknowledgement that those working in pairs or small groups may be seen as “at risk” and so may benefit from the use of a lone worker system
- An acknowledgement that those working from home (home workers) should be seen as “lone workers” and could benefit from using a lone working system
- Accepts that calls with lone workers may be made via data, rather than the “traditional” call network
- Staff involved in delivering lone working services (typically ARC workers) must be screened in accordance with BS 7858 (which is the UK standard for vetting people employed in the security sector)
- The removal of most of the recommendations in Clause 7 (Alarm Receiving Centres), as this is covered in BS 5979 and BS 9518
The standard now also notes that wellbeing is a crucial element in creating a safety culture within a company, it states “Considering employee safety, wellbeing and security at a strategic level leads to a culture of safety at work at the operational level.”.
What does this mean for our customers?
Gaining BS 8484:2022 accreditation demonstrates Peoplesafe’s dedication to delivering industry-leading lone worker protection and ensures we are adhering to the most recent industry standards.
Peoplesafe CEO Naz Dossa comments: